Fitting large sliding patio doors to a steel frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

What's the best way of fitting a triple track sliding door to a steel sway frame? I want to minimise thermal bridging.

I'm building my own extension and have Building Control approved plans including those from the Structural Engineer.

I currently have this:

IMG_0475.jpeg

Designed this:
IMG_0474.jpeg

and I've started "building" in Sketchup:

Image 25-06-2022 at 17.59.jpeg

For the jambs the detail they've supplied is this:

Image 26-06-2022 at 11.36.jpeg

As the triple track is so wide they don't just fix into the outer block. Due to my steel frame I was thinking of just using a 50x200mm timber fixed to the steel to close the cavity with a DPC against the outer block:

Image 26-06-2022 at 11.39.jpeg

Would that work?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Same with the head.

The detail supplied by the door company is this:

Image 27-06-2022 at 10.17.jpeg

But the Structural Engineer specified a separate galvanised angle lintel.

Again, could I just bridge the cavity with timber?

Image 27-06-2022 at 10.16.jpeg

Apparently, having timber in the cavity is no good so I should use structural foam such as Compacfoam instead. I was thinking of fixing a 4x2 timber to the steel as shown below.

Anyone done this?

Image 28-06-2022 at 11.46.jpeg

Image 28-06-2022 at 12.17.jpeg

Speaking to a sliding door company they say fixing to steel or timber is ok. They said speak to your builder. Unfortunately, that's me!

So, should I fix a 4X2" timber all around the steel or not?

I'm thinking it would help with thermal bridging and fixing plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
Bit of a longshot but what about the general concept of doubling up that outer skin? I appreciate you might be dealing with an existing build so not quite sure what is practical and whether that is existing or new steelwork - but then you could hang everything off the thicker outer skin? I'm a DIY'er though so have no idea if its allowed / practical or not :)

Thanks for the reply. I've done the concrete trench fill but that's all so far. The steel is as specified by the structural engineer so I can't change that, give or take a few cm. The design with Building Regs approval is for a cavity wall with the side returns supported on lintels to span the existing retaining wall. So thanks for the suggestion but I'm tied to the existing plan.

The next stage is to order the steel which is why I want to get the dimensions right.

I suppose my real question is what do builders do to avoid thermal bridging when dealing with steel frames?

Thanks for the reply. I've done the concrete trench fill but that's all so far. The steel is as specified by the structural engineer so I can't change that, give or take a few cm. The design with Building Regs approval is for a cavity wall with the side returns supported on lintels to span the existing retaining wall. So thanks for the suggestion but I'm tied to the existing plan.

The next stage is to order the steel which is why I want to get the dimensions right.

I suppose my real question is what do builders do to avoid thermal bridging when dealing with steel frames?
Got ya - although what I had in my head was effectively just adding the extra thickness to the external side of the outer skin only - so the same concept of using double thick blocks on just the section where the doors meet blockwork if that makes sense - and therefore leaving the rest of the design as is. So only steelwork tweak is the front plate increasing in length as per below - and then your door shifts forward. You've filled the trench though so may or may not limit if you can have a course running down on to the edge of it,

I am doing very similar to you right now steel-work wise and asked the cold bridge question on here with advice being to use 32mm insulated plasterboard on that inner wall. This thread here -
Not got to that stage just yet, hopefully in a couple of weeks time.

Screenshot 2022-07-03 at 08.36.23.png

Thanks for the reply. I've looked at your other threads and it's been really helpful to me.

I'm thinking your suggestion above still leaves a cold bridge as shown by the blue line below. The exposed lintel will draw in the cold from outside and through the frame. The green arrow in the picture points to the thermal break in the frame but as you can see it doesn't work here. However, I think this is how most installations happen but it seems wrong to me.

IMG_0499.jpeg

My structural engineer specified a separate lintel (galvanised). He said the usual welded plate design suffers from corrosion and thermal bridging.

I've added the timber around the sway frame to help it even more . The sway frame is bolted to the footings so that's another pathway so the that's why I had the timber idea. Then add insulated plasterboard and fireboard internally.

Image 04-07-2022 at 09.28.jpeg

Having never built a steel frame before I'm just guessing!

Just to update, here's what I did.

Built the steel frame and lined it with 4 by 2 timber fixed with M8 bolts with DPC between timber and steel. Fixed compacfoam to the timber with timberlok screws (I later added a third screw per length of compacfoam):

IMG_4152.jpeg

I then put the rafters on because I was bored of getting wet as it didn't stop raining for months:

IMG_4191.jpeg

Built the side walls:

IMG_4229 2.jpeg

Then lifted the galvanised external lintel in place with my trusty electric winch attached to an acrow:

IMG_4263.jpeg

IMG_4264.jpeg

Made a triangle of timber with the rafters to ensure that lintel was staying put:

IMG_4422.jpeg

Came up with a way of minimising cold bridging at the threshold:

IMG_4761.jpeg

IMG_4772.jpeg

Sliding doors went in. The one thing I didn't do myself. The fitters were very happy with the compacfoam and had used it before. Solid fixing.

IMG_4891.jpeg

Inside has been a major bit of work but that's another story.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back