Steel door frame - Lintal Height ?

I

iDIY

Im building a cavity wall garage, required Planning Permission but doesn't fall under building regs.

Im building it with both inner and outer leaf of cavity wall in dense concrete block (440x215x100).

I have a steel door in a steel frame 1780w x 2075h that will sit on the concrete slab and open outwards.

I'm only up to 4 rows of clockwork at the moment but thinking ahead to the lintel above the door.

9 rows of block will come to a nominal 2025mm, 50mm lower than the top of the door frame so too low for the lintel to be installed.

10 rows of block will come to 2250mm, leaving a gap of 175mm between top of door frame and and the bottom of the lintel.

So, one option would be 9 rows of block and 1 row on inner and outer leaf of 65mm engineering brick, taking the height to 2100mm, leaving only a 25mm gap between frame and lintel to be filled.

Is this extra row of brick around the whole garage perimeter my only option?

Sponsored Links
You're over-thinking it: just cut the blocks at the bearings of the lintel.

Thanks Tony, I was over thinking it I suppose :) I was thinking the lintel had to have a full block depth below it but of course it doesn't.. I can put a brick under each side of the 150mm overhang and a cut block above it and the blockwork either side and above will then stay in bond and on the same level.. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back