1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Steel door frame - Lintal Height ?

Discussion in 'Building' started by iDIY, 25 May 2019.

1. iDIY

iDIY

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Im building a cavity wall garage, required Planning Permission but doesn't fall under building regs.

Im building it with both inner and outer leaf of cavity wall in dense concrete block (440x215x100).

I have a steel door in a steel frame 1780w x 2075h that will sit on the concrete slab and open outwards.

I'm only up to 4 rows of clockwork at the moment but thinking ahead to the lintel above the door.

9 rows of block will come to a nominal 2025mm, 50mm lower than the top of the door frame so too low for the lintel to be installed.

10 rows of block will come to 2250mm, leaving a gap of 175mm between top of door frame and and the bottom of the lintel.

So, one option would be 9 rows of block and 1 row on inner and outer leaf of 65mm engineering brick, taking the height to 2100mm, leaving only a 25mm gap between frame and lintel to be filled.

Is this extra row of brick around the whole garage perimeter my only option?

2. tony1851

tony1851

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You're over-thinking it: just cut the blocks at the bearings of the lintel.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. iDIY

iDIY

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Tony, I was over thinking it I suppose :) I was thinking the lintel had to have a full block depth below it but of course it doesn't.. I can put a brick under each side of the 150mm overhang and a cut block above it and the blockwork either side and above will then stay in bond and on the same level.. Thanks again.

Last edited: 25 May 2019