Fitting MDF skirting what adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have seen various tubes of all sorts being used over the years from the original gripfill to budget silicone and everything in between, but now I am off the tools so no one to ask, so what are you using for skirting onto painted plasterboard walls some of it has had the paper torn a bit when removing the last skirting .
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
adhesive foam like e.g. instastik or the equivalent pink foam

I have yet to try the expanding foam for skirting. Do you present the skirting to the foam, pull it away and then push the skirting back?

BTW I have used expanding foam to lock existing skirting and stair strings. I drill a hole the same size as the nozzle on the tube and squirt the foam in, allowing the excess to drip out of the hole after and (hopefully) thereby reducing the risk of the foam distorting the timber.Thus far it has worked very well.

All I do is run a bead down the back of the skirting and stick it on. It is better to use the gun grade with a foam gun than the aerosol version which is a bit uncontrollable. Don't use too much - although it is low expansion, it is not no expansion and will push the skirt away if not held in place for a few minutes with e.g. a toolbox. On dusty surfaces a light water mist spray first helps. Foam is good because it will fill gaps. If sticking direct to a very flat surface like skimmed PB, then I would still use a standard grab adhesive - you don't need the gap-filling qualities of foam if there is no gap....

All I do is run a bead down the back of the skirting and stick it on. It is better to use the gun grade with a foam gun than the aerosol version which is a bit uncontrollable. Don't use too much - although it is low expansion, it is not no expansion and will push the skirt away if not held in place for a few minutes with e.g. a toolbox. On dusty surfaces a light water mist spray first helps. Foam is good because it will fill gaps. If sticking direct to a very flat surface like skimmed PB, then I would still use a standard grab adhesive - you don't need the gap-filling qualities of foam if there is no gap....

Thanks

I apply foam to top and bottom allow full expansion, usually less than 2 minutes and push home, once it makes contact it expels any air and kills any further expansion, though have never experienced the foam expansion sufficient to move even tiny sections of board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back