Skirting adhesive pulling paint off wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I’m sticking skirting and architrave onto a painted wall but the wood is falling off.
The solvent free adhesive is sticking to the paint and pulling that off the wall, so the skirting is coming away.
I know I can screw the skirting on but I also have architrave that I need to only stick.
What do I do to secure this please?
1051257948_o.jpg

Sponsored Links
Too little of wrong glue used . Fixing foam better .Sand area before sticking.

Would sealing with pva work/help also? What do you do if tiling over a painted wall?

Sponsored Links
Would sealing with pva work/help also? What do you do if tiling over a painted wall?
PVA doesn't work and can make things worse. If the paint is coming off the plaster work then the plaster is possibly still damp. If chunks of plaster are coming away with the adhesive then there is something amiss with the plaster work. Simply scoring the paintwork with a knife or very coarse sandpaper is generally enough to obtain a good bond. BTW I for one don't think you've used insufficient glue - we use that amount or less for trade installs (which don't come unstuck, either) and rarely need to resort to foam (which is risky if you apply too much and is far too expensive for big jobs). Part of the trick with grab adhesive is to install quickly, so it can't skin over, and to make sure it is pressed into place whilst the glue sets. Normally we use pins to achieve this, but "go bars" (thin timber laths bent and sprung in) are an easy alternative

If tiling over a painted wall you need to ensure a good mechanical bond between the tile adhesive and the wall, so remove all loose paint, make sure the wall is thoroughly degraded (in kitchens especially) and if the paint is thick or glossy scarcify it with a steel prong scraper or coarse sand paper

If your wall is bowed the boards will pull away until the adhesive has set. You need to secure them against the wall until the adhesive has fully set. If the plaster is dry I would scrape/sand the paint away and re-fix with adhesive ion the bare plaster. Same with your architrave but these can be secured to the door frame with fine panel pins, knock below the surface and apply a bit of filler. Sand smooth and paint over.

What do you do if tiling over a painted wall?

Personally I grind the wall back to the plaster.

Mind you, I did that last year because the GF told me that a tiler was turning up to re-tile our bathroom. I assumed that he would have wanted the waterbased eggshell removed so that there was no risk of the moisture in the adhesive pulling the paint off (the tiles were 900 by 900mm). I needn't have bothered.

He was one of those guys who gets in and out as quickly as possible. He just tiled straight over the dusty plaster, no SBR, nothing. I know he didn't bother sealing the walls because the GF asked him to redo the first wall (not his fault) and the tiles came off without any damage the next day. You couldn't see any evidence of the trowelled adhesive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back