Fitting Monoblock Kitchen Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not very experienced with plumbing, but want to fit a replacement monoblock tap to my kitchen sink.

In the fitting instructions of the new tap there is a note which says 'if this product is being fitted to a water system with low pressure hot water feed and high pressure cold water feed, a 'listed' single check valve or some other effective backflow prevention device shall be fitted to both hot and cold water inlets'.

My system has this arrangement (cold water from the mains, hot water from the tank) so I assume I will need to fit this valve.

I want to put an isolating valve in too, as it seems a good idea, and hence I currently expect to fit two flexible connectors, check valves and isolating valves to my existing feed pipes.

My questions are:

Can I get one thing that does everything. i.e. check valve and isolator in one ?
Does a double check valve act as an isolating valve too?

I have seen flexible tap connectors with isolating valves built in - do they do these for monoblocks?

Is there anything else I should do that I am missing?

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Can I get one thing that does everything. i.e. check valve and isolator in one ?
Not seen one but doesn't mean there isn't one.
Does a double check valve act as an isolating valve too?
Nope, its just two check valves, in case one fails.
I have seen flexible tap connectors with isolating valves built in - do they do these for monoblocks?
Yep.
Is there anything else I should do that I am missing?
Not that I can think of :p

Thanks for the info. Time for a trip to the plumbers merchant.
:)
One further quick question.

Should the check valve be fitted vertical or does it not matter?

Sponsored Links
Just be aware that you will get a slightly reduced flow rate with the flexi connectors. Ok with mains cold and should be ok if hot water tank / cold water storage tank are on floor above kitchen.

Hello,

Thanks for posting this ChrisOne, I'm doing the same at my house and I didn't have a clue about check valves!!

Will I have a problem as I'm fitting one in the bathroom too which is the same level as the HW tank?

Thanks in advance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back