Fitting new bath taps with speedfit hose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Ive never really done any kind of plumbing work before and getting a plumber in is unfortunatly financially not possible.
I want to fit a new bath/shower mixer tap myself, after removing the old taps (which hopefully shouldnt be too bad, hopefully)
i was thinking:
cut the pipe back a bit with special tool, and use http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=64269&id=39492 which just pushes onto the pipe?
The thing im mainly confused about is, will i need a washer and if so what kind, to go on the other end where the tap connects ?

It all sounds so simple, i have a feeling it wont be.

The pipes going into the taps are 22mm on the hot and 15mm on the cold from a combi.

Any advice would be a massive help, Thanks

Sponsored Links
If your taking the old bath taps off (assuming they are the same taps in a pair) you shouldnt really have to cut any pipes, they should just go onto the existing fittings were the old taps are...

where the pipe joins each tap is fairly corroded? im just worried that i wont be able to make a decent seal again.

I have just finished re-plumbing my entire bathroom using speedfit fittings as I also could not afford a plumber to do the job and they are really that easy to use.

If you cut the pipe back as you say then simply push the fitting over the pipe until it locks on, then if you put a little PTFE tape on the tap screw threads then tighten the speedfit nut - simple!

The fitting you have picked has a rubber washer built into the nut which fastens to your taps so that and a little PTFE tape and it will be "water tight!"

Sponsored Links
Don`t even need ptfe......but the pipes might be imperial not metric :(

Ive just checked again and they do seem to be 22 and 15, what measurement should i be looking for if imperial ?

Back in the 70`s they changed from threequater bore to 22 mm O.D tube. just when I started my career....so the old stuff is smaller o.d than metric....never measured it tho` :( Also to get a speedfit onto a cut pipe.. the cut must be made with a pipecutter not a hacksaw...

1/2" imperial copper is only fractionally bigger than 15mm, so a pushfit fitting would probably be OK. But 3/4" copper is only 21.5mm outside diameter, a lot less than 22mm, so 22mm fittings (pushfit, compression, etc.) will not work. You will need an adaptor. If you look closely at the existing fittings, they should be marked with the size (22mm or 3/4").

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back