Fitting new bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After having some quotes in for refitting a bathroom which were all out of our price range, I am going to price it up using seperate trades people. If I go down this route, in what order shall I get them in?

My main concern is the plumber, I would like the toilet etc to sit on the tiles rather than cut tiles around the suite, but the old suite needs removed first to get the tiling done, and the new positions will require different water/waste runs. So.. will the plumber be prepared to do a first/second fit? Also its the only bathroom in the house so we will need the toilet operational as quickly as possible.

Hope that makes sense to somebody

Thanks in advance for any advice

pippo

Sponsored Links
plumber gut bathroom / first fix
plasterer if needed.
plumber fit bath
tiler
plumber fit toilet, basin etc.

Thanks for the quick reply seco,

I presume then that the plumber will expect to make a couple of visits then when I get them in to quote

pippo

most cases yes when pipes are to be channeled in walls etc he will expect to do 2 visits.

Sponsored Links
If your going along the line of different tradesmen, you need to keep on top of things to save money. And allow extra time for them to fit around and work together, dont expect the job as quick as 1 company/tradeamen doing all work.It can all go horribly wrong, get clear definitions of who does what task.

You can have a loo plumbed in on temporary/flexible connections, but scheduling the whole thing, and getting a plumber to come twice, and a tiler to fit round the others, is notoriously difficult.
Quite often you need a Part P qualified spark too!

Yeah it may just be worth paying the extra money to get the job done smoothly. Its a pity as i know a good plasterer, tiler and a spark. (not sure if the part p applies up here in Scotland or not). Annoyingly I dont know a plumber and i guess it will be him/her that needs to make the most visits.

Thanks for the advise guys

I have a better idea of the difficulties in scheduling it myself now.

Pippo.

You have nothing to lose by getting the plumber/tiler to see if they can agree a time they can work together nothing ventured nothing gained ;)

Try and get every one together, over a few sherberts, and build a bit of a bond with all parties, they might even know each other directly/indirectly.

Try and get every one together, over a few sherberts, and build a bit of a bond with all parties.

you'll be lucky where out to make money. when i price a job i want to be in and out.
not down the pub with a customer/and other trades who i don't know chin wagging about work and the colour of your tiles.

but if your will to pay evening rates for them to spend hours priceing your bathroom design may be a good idea, but i know i'd rather get back home.

ask the tradesmen you plan to use if they know a plumber, two advantages at least to this, you will get someone they recommended and can work with and if there are any time/arrangement hiccups caused by one of them they may be less likely to charge you waiting time etc as it was their mate who caused the delay, the plumber will need at least a couple of visits, and remember when he comes back to fit the wc there will need to be time for the tiles to set before it can get connected/used so you will need an alternative

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back