Fitting New Boiler 4 Bedroom Semi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys 1st post for me! Great forum have been taking little bits of info for ages so thought it was about time to register.

We are stuck on deciding on which new boiler to go for and are currently looking at valiant 937 or Worcester 440 Highflow. There is a price difference of about £300 which I would rather save. I was given the advice from a friend who works for British Gas, I know nothing other than paying the bills so any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Sponsored Links
What are your family circumstances to make you think you need either of these large combi's?

I would hope you mean size of family - 2 kids + the boss with a new addition within the next few years hopefully. 1 Bathroom 2 ensuite

Yes either of these combi's will suffice, but unless you are planning to want to run a bath and one or both the en-suite showers together I do not see the need for a storage combi.

As yet I personally have never come across a customer that needs more than an Ecotec Plus 837.

But there will always be a first to come I suppose.

You will need at least 3 Bar and 20 litres per min flow to get your monies worth out of either of these boilers and at least a 25mm incoming mains supply from the street.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dave so you say the 837 would do the job we need as well, if thats the case which of the 3 would you advise and why?

Thanks for all your help!

Well assuming you mean in effect three bathrooms and you want to be able to use all three together then I would never recommend a combi.

Its all depends on your incoming water supply but you would need at least 30 li/min as a minimum.

I would therefore suggest a combi supplying just one shower and a vented stored water system for the bath and other shower.

Tony

With good mains into a storage combi you'd be able to supply 2 outlets at once for a short time, but not 3.
Agree with Tony.

I think I will look at the smaller valiant 837/838 they seem far more cost effective - Anymore advice on these boilers would be most appreciated. Also any idea on a the best place to get boilers from price wise.

thanks again - gents

I think I will look at the smaller valiant 837/838 they seem far more cost effective - Anymore advice on these boilers would be most appreciated. Also any idea on a the best place to get boilers from price wise.

thanks again - gents

If cost is your main factor and as the above will only successfully guarantee one outlet at a time retrofitted to existing supplies, you may as well save even more and go for the 831 model.

Thanks for that - Just finally got down to choice of Valiant 937 or WB 42 CDI, the worcester has the smaller dimensions so may go with that but everyone seems to scream about valiant at the moment so just want to get best available. Money nots the main factor would just rather not spend money on system thats not needed.

The 937 is a better unit and has more flueing options than the Worcester, the Highflow has very limited flueing and is incompatible with Bosch's own Plume kits.

If you have a tame installer ready and waiting, by all means buy your boiler.

If you intend to buy the boiler and then look for someone to fit it, you could find it very difficult. Most installers expect, and need to make a margin on the boiler, and also will often have a relationship with their supplier whereby any defects will result in a replacement quickly dispatched with no questions asked. Our suppliers will try to change a new boiler the same day if we ring up saying it is damaged or faulty.

As a private punter a wholesaler will assume you either don't know how to fit it or have broken it. Your fitter will lose a fortune in wages and have to reschedule around their other customer commitments while you fanny around getting it replaced. That's why the trade like to supply their own stuff!

Thanks Simond just in middle stage of complete renovation so team have been in place for a little while. Full time role is landlord 80% new build, this i the first large renovation project I have managed myself. Thanks for info seems like everyone is going for the valiant. The only benefit I see with Worcester Bosch is the depth and that is only for design purposes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back