Fitting new ceiling lights - is it ok to do this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK so Im trying to fit new ceiling light fittings

Took off the old light fitting, there is a terminal block with all the wires from the mains leading into it then at the other side the old light fittings live, neut and earth connect into it.

My new fitting is the halogen type and has a terminal block already attached to the fitting BUT if I remove the old terminal block from the ceiling there are too many wires to fit into the much smaller holes on the new block (are you still with me!!)

Can I just use a piece of 3 core wire to attach the existing old terminal block and hence the mains wiring to the new terminal block on the new light fitting - will this be safe - or is there a better way? Or is it a job for the pros.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
you can, but since you have 2 termianl blocks, why not remove the one from the new lights?

also note my signature

Because the block is connected to the new fitting with a metal hook affair and seems to be acting as an earth for the metal casing so I was wary of removing it completely. So its ok to do what I thought then without blowing myself up!!?

Sponsored Links
so long as you use the approptiate sized cable then yes (and take usual precautions)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back