fitting new ignition module

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our rover 216 ignition module failed about a year ago and now the new one is cutting out the same as before.

How hard is it to fix myself??--- :(

Sponsored Links
can you describe the fault in more detail.

is the engine misfiring or does it just fail to turn over on the starter from time to time?

ECU = difficult - can be removed and sent off for repair (try ecudoctor.co.uk)

Black box controlling power circuit to starter motor = remove, prise open, locate corroded part of circuit board using Mk1 eyeball and test meter, bridge out faulty section with soldering iron and wire, close up, test on car, reseal with silicone if ok.
worked for me on a 1.3i rover lump and saved me £100

Ron Gamma said:
can you describe the fault in more detail.

is the engine misfiring or does it just fail to turn over on the starter from time to time?

ECU = difficult - can be removed and sent off for repair (try ecudoctor.co.uk)

Black box controlling power circuit to starter motor = remove, prise open, locate corroded part of circuit board using Mk1 eyeball and test meter, bridge out faulty section with soldering iron and wire, close up, test on car, reseal with silicone if ok.
worked for me on a 1.3i rover lump and saved me £100

The car does not misfire or refuse to turn over.Sometimes,ie if you stop for a gallon it wont fire again .Once left for awhile it usually starts again
It had the module replaced before and was ok for 18mths but now its doing the same thing again.

could be a fuel fault

iirc something in the boot

call out AA they have a laptop with known faults if a member

Sponsored Links
Scrumpy.

The module you mention is located in the distributor (I assume the car is 1989-1995). I would sugest you obtain the Haynes Manual and judge for yourself if you feel confident enough to take it on.(not difficult if you have an aptitude for car repairs).
It is possible that the E.C.T. (engine coolant temperature sensor) is faulty.......not expensive......try changing this first.

;)

scrumpyjack said:
Our rover 216 ignition module failed about a year ago and now the new one is cutting out the same as before.

How hard is it to fix myself??--- :(

did you fix it ?

Back