Fitting new light in garage - will I need a certificate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit a new light in the ceiling in my garage. I'm going to move the existing one from the middle of the ceiling across so its about 1/3 way in & the new one I'm going to just come off the current light cable & fit the new light over at the other 1/3 of my garage.

So, can I do this without the need of an electricians certificate? I've checked Part P & it seems to say I'm ok to do this.

btw - all new cables & connectors will proper building standard.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
The garage is part of the house. Not an extension either, its backs on to the kitchen.

House is 15 years old.

You will be ok to do the job As long as you DO know what you are doing i;e work in a safe and competent manner.

Sponsored Links
Pretty competent DIY'er (i think!)

So, adding an additional light is ok then - no certificate then?

I guess moving the current light a few feet is no problem at all.

Pretty competent DIY'er (i think!)

So, adding an additional light is ok then - no certificate then?

I guess moving the current light a few feet is no problem at all.
Famous last words!!
Make sure you make a note of where all the wires are in the current fitting before disconnecting it.

Well, I done electrics, gas, plumbing & joinery (all of which has been passed by inspectors in the past) so I think I will be ok. Anyway, I always stop & ask if I get stuck & I'm unsure on what to do.

The cable joint for the addtional light will be behind plaster board.

So, apart from the possability of killing myself & shorting out the national grid, it will be ok to do without the need to pay someone to sign it off then? :D

A friend who is corgi registered help me with some copper pipe work.
All work was checked & signed off.
Apart from that minor explosion everythings been fine! :D

I don't think there is a law about doing DIY gas in your own home?
How will this cable be jointed, do you have RCD protection on the circuit?

Can we stop bringing my DIY compentance in to the issue anyway. If I was a cowboy I wouldnt be on here asking you kind people about if its ok to be what I want.

:)

I don't think there is a law about doing DIY gas in your own home?
How will this cable be jointed, do you have RCD protection on the circuit?

Yes, the current light is a strip light on the main RCD circuit (down stairs light ring i think). I was going to add the addtional cable to the light & run it back throught the roof/plaster board. Kinda like an additional branch.
I dont want to add another switch or anything.

That's right, the additional cable for the extra light will come straight off the fixing of the existing strip light, goes through the plasterboard hole that the original cable uses & comes out of a new hole a metre of so across the ceiling. I will fit the new light here, so the cable is not visible in anyway.

I guessing that's ok to do & I wont need a certificate then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back