Fitting new light with a junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm fitting a new light in my bathroom (used to have a ceiling rose with 9" flex!). I'm replacing it with a suitable bathroom light but it only has 1 Live and Neutral terminal.

Should I use 5 amp or 20 amp Junction boxes in the loft? (I have 4 cables to terminate - Ring to/ring from/switch/light)

What cable should I use from the JB to the bathroom light? (about 30cm worth! Should I use some standard flex or twin & earth? If Twin & Earth what do I do with the earth connection as the light fitting doesn't have an Earth point?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
5A would be adequate in terms of load, but you'll find a 20A box easier to work with because the terminals are bigger and there's more room to fit the wires inside the box.

5A would be adequate in terms of load, but you'll find a 20A box easier to work with because the terminals are bigger and there's more room to fit the wires inside the box.

I thought that would be the case, I remember trying to use 5amp JB's a while back and really struggled to get 3 wires in 1 terminal!

What about the cable between JB and light fitting/ceiling rose? Flex or Twin & Earth? If Twin & Earth what do I do with the Earth as there is no termination point for Earth on the new light.

Sponsored Links
I would use flex, but I'd be tempted to use 3-core (i.e. with an earth), so that it supports a future change of luminaire, and still acts as a CPC should the flex become damaged.

You can just put the unused end of the earth into a terminal block.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back