fitting new radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well a new kitchen has led to the need for a second radiator in the lounge (don't ask :D ).

The gap from the existing radiator is about 2.7 meters straight or 3.4 meters round the walls. The boiler and pump are up for replacement so no problems there.

Surely to dig a trough in the solid floor is no big deal? Are there not m/cs you can hire to do this? I thought it would be easy.

However friends have suggested below ground is too much hassle and around the wall and then covered with wood would be better. Can't see it myself as I would need to cut holes in the back of my favourite dresser.

Any thoughts?

Tx in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
dig out a bit of floor screed and see how much depth to the concrete you have :idea: .... Nige le 1 :mrgreen:

dig out a bit of floor screed and see how much depth to the concrete you have :idea: .... Nige le 1 :mrgreen:

Almost 2 inches. So presumably nigel1 (or anyone else) I can easily sink a half inch into it?

I've also been looking at more arty, thinner, taller non-standard radiators. THEY COST A FORTUNE!!!! So I think standard ones will do. The saving in cost will more than cover the plumber and floor excavation.

As I'm doing a lot of work, replacing all carpets and floor coverings, walls being knocked down, new kitchen, decorating everywhere, replacing the boiler, and it is a small house (2 up 2 down) with pipes/rads over 25 years old is it worth taking the opportunity to replace the lot?

I guess doing so would hopefully solve for certain the boiler F22 error we frequently get, allow us to reposition other radiators, and ensure that the new ones were efficient.

There will be no commitment until Sept 1st so any thoughts would be very welcome during this planning stage. Tx in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
you have 3 choices really

1) dig the floor up and run the copper or hep pipe user new screeding, make sure that if you put new carpet gripper down you dont put them over the pipe and nail through the pipe

2) run it round the outside of the wall, this will mean cutting your dresser and having the piping on display or laged to hide it

3) dig a chanel in your wall, if its plater board you might be able to cut a hole at the rad end and run/push the pipe through the cavity, this will mean having some replastering done and re decorating... but you wont be cutting your dresser

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back