Fitting new shower bar, stuck on fixing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Our old shower struggles to turn off since having a combi boiler put in.
This evening on the way home I popped into Plumbase to get the cheapest mixer shower - which was a Bristan Zing @ £60 (I'm thought by going to a wholesaler I'd beat the price of Screwfix, but i was £5 wrong). I wanted cheapest because our bathroom is in dire need of replacing, and this shower is to tie us over until we have the bathroom replaced.

To get to the point, I'm struggling with the installation.
Please see http://www.bristan.com/WebRoot/BristanNewDB/Shops/Bristan/Products/INSTRUC. PDF-1100653-1-D5-1.PDF page 14.

I've got these Z pieces that have a 15mm thread on them but I've got no way of fixing the bar to the wall. I was planning on using flexi hoses to the Z pieces as a temp solution (it's a stud wall) but at the moment I can't work out how I can get it to stay in place.

Am I missing something obvious.
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes you are.

The Z pieces should be 3/4" at one end for the valve, the other end is 1/2" BSP and normally screws into two 1/2" female ports fixed into the wall before tiling.

If you don't mind what it looks like until the shower is re-done try surface mounting a couple of bib tap adapters ( the things outside taps are screwed into ) 150mm apart, and fixing the valve to these.

MM

Plumbase is not a wholesaler, and it sounds as if you've probably paid their retail price, not their trade price.

Thanks for your reply MM. I have I have found that Bristan have a fast fix mounting kit which I've bought off ebay for £14. I believe this will solve my troubles.

Charnwood, I don't believe it's there retail price as had the usual xx% discount on the paid invoice but I don't have an account there (I'm an electrician) so imagine their regulars get a little more discount.

Thanks for your replies.

Sponsored Links
Yup, that fast fix mounting kit is the easiest way to do it but you will need to use copper or plastic pipe to use them, flexi's won't work as the mounting kit uses compression fittings. If plastic, don't forget the pipe inserts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back