Fitting new shower base.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to fit a new quadrant shower base.

It is a very heavy aluminium type (not plastic). The leaflet that came with the base says to bed on a weak mortar mix. Others are telling me that it should be placed on a 1" thick piece of ply.

What do the experts do?

Are they only held in place with silicone as there are no other fixings?

Sponsored Links
I think the 1" ply refers to the material you will be setting it down onto, as opposed to straight onto floorboards.

I used silicon to fit mine, onto a wooden plinth. Once the silicon dries the shower tray wont be going anywhere.

Thanks Tom.

Did you fit to a plinth for access to waste pipes, or for stability?

That's my next decision, do I fit directly on to floor (either on mortar mix or 1" ply) with waste trap going under floor boards.

Or do I build it on a plinth of about 4"

Sponsored Links
I fitted a plinth for future access to the trap although it will definately help with stability if you were planning on going stright onto the floor boards.

Also the other problem you may have if fitting onto a wooden floor is that the supporting joists may be in the way of any waste pipes going under the floor, if you fit a plinth the waste pipe can stay above floor level and be hidden underneath it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back