Fitting new taps in bathroom and there's an isolation valve.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

This is my first post so here goes...... I've bought some new taps for our bathroom and the thread on them is slightly longer than the old taps. My question is, how can I fit them? There is an isolation valve attached to a copper pipe approx 25 cm long which joins onto the current taps.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Well cutting out and fitting a new bit copper pipe (I am assuming you have copper)and tap connector would be the standard way, but the easiest if you are not experianced in plumbing will be to use a flexible hose like this.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/jg-speedf...onnector-hoses-22mm-x-mm-x-300mm-2-pack/5401g
That is for fitting bath taps which are 3/4" to 22mm pipe. If they are basin taps chances are they will be 1/2" taps on 15mm pipe.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/jg-speedf...p-connector-hoses-15mm-x-x-300mm-2-pack/9938g
You will have to cut back the pipes about 250 / 300mm or so to get them in and either use a pipe cutter or make a very clean cut and remove every trace of a burr from the pipe to use push fit which are the simplest to use.
Can you post a pic of the pipe and tap connection so people can see what sort of pipe connections you have. :)

Here's a picture of the taps and the setting under the sink:
WIN_20170805_18_59_41_Pro.jpg
WIN_20170805_19_00_24_Pro.jpg

Sponsored Links
if you undo the upper compression joint on the service valve, and carefully measure how much too long the pipe is, you can use a Pipe Slice (a tool that cuts copper pipe cleanly and accurately) to cut a bit off.

The old olive might be a prob if it is tightly indented into the pipe, unless you buy a new piece of pipe.

The pipe slice will be useful if you ever do more plumbing.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/monument-tools-automatic-pipe-cutter-15mm/12468

I don't know if it's a trick of perspective, but that tap looks like a bath tap:unsure:

is that a bath tap you are holding in pic? it looks quite large for a basin?

It is a sink tap I have matching bath taps and they are bigger. I do have tiny hands :)

if you undo the compression joint on the service valve, and carefully measure how much too long the pipe is, you can use a Pipe Slice (a tool that cuts copper pipe cleanly and accurately) to cut a bit off.

The old olive might be a prob if it is tightly indented into the pipe, unless you buy a new piece of pipe.

The pipe slice will be useful if you ever do more plumbing.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/monument-tools-automatic-pipe-cutter-15mm/12468
Spot on advice!
(y)
You would be wise to replace the fibre washers on the tap connection end do not try to reuse them unless they are rubber in which case you might get away with it but new are best.

It would be a good move Emma, to remove the paint from the pipe work unless you intend to renew it......always a plumbers nightmare!
Nitromors removes paint, if you give it long enough.....brush it on, wait and then wipe it off.
Flexible pipe connectors would be the easiest way here, as there isn't any vertical movement in the existing pipes at all.
John :)

Hi All,

This is my first post so here goes...... I've bought some new taps for our bathroom and the thread on them is slightly longer than the old taps. My question is, how can I fit them? There is an isolation valve attached to a copper pipe approx 25 cm long which joins onto the current taps.

Thanks in advance.

How do you know the thread is longer? Have you already removed the old ones?

If the new one IS longer, it may not be by much. You may well struggle to use a pipe slice to trim a very small section, and you will have to remove the olive. Save your tenner you will spend on a one use pipe slice, and buy a decent junior hacksaw. You may need to saw a cut diagonally across the olive, insert a small screwdriver in the cut and twist. This will open the olive to remove. Fit taps, using a "top Hat" washer on each, and new fibre washers. Offer the pipe up to the tap and mark the pipe at the appropriate position. Cut and fit, using new olives in the iso valve.
Alternatively, buy flexible connectors with a built in isolation valve, turn off water at mains, remove old iso valve and fit new to the existing remaining nut and to the taps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back