fitting new thermostatic shower valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Getting round to fitting up a new Hudson Reed thermostatic shower valve.

Firstly, am I correct in saying that I do not need to fit non-return valves to the H&C supply feeds as the shower valve has them built-in?

Secondly, what connectors do I use to marry up the pipework to the valve ? Don't want to damage the threads by using the wrong fitting.

I was going to use 22mm to feed shower but looks like it needs to reduce to 15mm unless there is a specific connector for this?

Sponsored Links
Managed to find some instructions on-line - so yes to question 1 (thought it was!).

With regard to connections, it is 1/2"NPT male. What is NPT? Where do I find these?

Assume this is 15mm pipe for 1/2" connect so I'll have to reduce the 22mm at some point.

When I fitted ours, I took the valve to the local plumber's merchant with a sketch of what I wanted to do, showing pipe diameters etc. Got the right bits and free advice about how to do the job too.

HTH,
Bri.

NPT (National Pipe Tapered thread) is an American standard pipe thread, similar to, but not quite the same as BSPT (Bitish Standard Pipe Tapered thread).

BSP and BSPT threads are commonly used for both metric and Imperial pipe fittings this side of the pond.

Generally, the US standard threads are about 1mm smaller diameter, and the thread flank angles are different to the corresponding British Standard sizes, so there's a good chance of damaging fittings by trying to fit the wrong parts together.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.

I got a 15mm x 1/2" straight connector to try and although it fits, I accept what you say TicklyT, which is what I am worried about. It is slightly different and I don't want sealing problems.

I shall visit the local merchants and see if they have the right fittings as you suggest Brigg001

Cheers for your replies.

Really?

Will it be OK to use these then, if I use a good bit of PTFE tape on the threads?

you say you have brought a 15mm x 1.2" MI fitting.
just use ptfe tape.

what mixer model are you fitting ?
is it on a block, stud wall etc ?
are the pipes concealed ?

The fitting was actually a copper pushfit one (15mm x 1/2" straight male connector from Wicks.

My reasoning for using this particular fitting was that the connector could be tightened in the shower valve whilst rotating on the pipe so if it needs undoing at a later stage you would not have the issue with removing a steadfastly compressed olive in situ.

The pipework is all concealed in a stud wall that I am making up to suit a Hudson Reed Kia/Jule triple valve which will be secured to the wall

My reasoning for using this particular fitting was that the connector could be tightened in the shower valve whilst rotating on the pipe so if it needs undoing at a later stage

you do that and you'll probably damage the seal in the pushfit.

So just use a compression fit one then?

15mm x 1/2" Male Iron.
compression20to20mi.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back