Fitting of a solidcore flush door blank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Just fitted a solidcore door blank from howdens with flush front and back,

I cut it down to size and the timber inside was really soft you could press it in with your finger?!

I specifically asked howdens for a good quality solid door for external use and they stated this is the best they have.

The timber isnt strong enough to hold the hinges or even the latch because the screws wont take, Is the door just poor quality or is there something I need to be doing to the door that I dont know about?

Sponsored Links
I think the problem has occurred because you had to cut the door down to size, Tommy - presumably most of the stiles have been removed? This does happen with some composite type doors.
In retrospect it may have been better to have chosen a genuine solid door, and took it from there.
John :)

yea they came in 6 x 4 or 8 x 4 and said they can be cut down to size, i cant see how you could refit the stiles though without ruining the door?

Sponsored Links
Door blanks are made from a laminated softwood solid core, made into a sheet/board measuring (36" x 6' 6") with a hardwood veneer. They are designed to be cut to any size and have no stiles. Instead they are lipped with matching hardwood. Sounds to me like you've inadvertently, been supplied with a flush fire door for painting, which looks to all intent and purpose the same.
Was the door the size above, or a set size to fit a door post set?

The doors are described lightweight fire doors, just as I expected and although they state can be cut to size I wonder how much.
The core material is albasia falcata more commonly used to make blockboard, however Howden's have put these out as satisfying the use as door blanks, therefore my first query would be to them and ask what special requirements these doors require for fitting and hanging by hinge...pinenot :unsure:

Howdens told me the lip has to be glued back on but i cant see how you could do this without damaging the door and making it look cosmetically ok

The lip is always glued back on, there shouldn't be any problems. What are your concerns :unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back