fitting optima compact with AG6 bell box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to install an optima compact with an AG6 bell box., but I keep getting a tamper signal. I have tried shorting out the tamper terminals at the CP but no luck. I have checked the tamper switch at the bell box, seems OK and the tamper spring in the CP works OK. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Best way to check bell tamper if you don't have a multimeter..... Wire bell + and 0v in panel you now have 3 wires left bell trip, tamper return , and strobe .....touch the bell trip to tamper return and the bell should sound, if not your bell tamper is wrong

Many thanks for your reply. Did as you suggested and bell did not sound. But just to make sure I did the test under the right conditions: the bell box was fully wired, with batt link in place. At the CP all 5 wires were originally connected & I removed the bell trip & touched the tamper return, no bell sound. With the multi-meter there was no voltage between bell trip & tamper return, and it was open circuit. Does this prove its the bell box tamper switch at fault? Its now raining so tomorrow I will tape the bell box tamper switch closed, and this should definitely prove it. Thanks again for your help.

It's your bell as long as you haven't blown the bell fuse , as the 0v goes up to the bell box and back via the tamper switch to tamper return ....check between 12+ and tamper return on dc volts for 13.8 ish

Sponsored Links
Sorted eventually. Shorting the bell box switch made no difference. Using your tip about the 0v returning through the tamper return I checked for continuity, none. I swapped the tamper return wire for the spare wire in the cable & it worked. Must have been a faulty/broken? tamper return wire. Thanks again for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back