Fitting Outside Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All,

Hope someone can help as I am a true novice to wiring and not sure if I am doing something stupid.

Basically I am hooking up a New Outside Light to the old wiring and cant get it to work.

The old Outside Light wasnt working and was a bit rusty and old, so instead of just swapping the bulb, I bought a whole new Unit that has Sensors on it.

Basically the way it is setup from checking the Socket, is they have the Wall Switch which inside has 3 Wires

Red Wire
Black Wire
Green/Yellow(Earth) Wire

Green/Yellow wire is I presume the Earth and is not connected to anything, just covered with casing and wrapped securly.

The Red and Black wires are attached to a plastic block which screws onto the back of the Switch.

There is then a Grey Plastic casing leasding outside and along the wall to the Light Unit.

Now my understanding is the Red Wire is Live and Back wire is Nuetral.

On the Light Fitting, there is a choc block which has a Yello cable attached on the end slot, then 3 wires being

Yellow/Green
Brown
Blue

Now the way it says to hook it up is Blue to Black and Red to Brown and yellow/Green wires together.

I did this and then set the Sensor lamp to Test, and switch the light on and nothing happened.

I double checked and everything was plugged in okay, so just wondered what could be worng, have I got it wired wrong or what Issues can I check like cable testing etc

Cheers in advance

Then on the Light Unit there is a Choc Block in it with

Sponsored Links
Can you hear the sensor clicking on and off when the power is interrupted? If so, you've probably got a faulty lamp. If you can't hear clicking you may have wired it up wrong.

Check also that you have fitted the lamp securely on its prongs - it's easy to be mistaken.

Have you connected the earth cable in the switch to the earth terminal at the light? Have you connected anything to the 4th terminal (with the yellow lead) at the light?

Do you have a multimeter?

I have not checked for the sensor clicking on or off when power interupted. I am at work but will check in a bit when going home.

When you say make sure sitting on its prongs, I am a bit confused. I wired it all up, but the metal handle that fastens to the wall I have not fitted yet as wanted to test it before fitting. I have turned the sensor to the Test setting and it says it should work doing that.

I have connected the Earth to Earth, I am going to double check the connections when get home but am pretty sure I wired them together properly.

I have not connected anything to this 4th wire which is a yellow one as not got anything to attach to it and doesnt say anything about attaching stuff in the instructions, thought this maybe something for the sensor or light settings.

I have a Multimeter somewhere but a small one. i take it you are asking about this for testing that their is current going sucessfully through the wires and that their is no break in the wires

Not to sound dumb but never used a multimeter, I presume you just attach one clip to one end of cable and one clip to the other end and it will show if current there. Or is that totally wrong?

You do need to check for voltage. The wire inside the switch is not the same one that connects to the fitting. Is the light fitting connected to the lighting circuit or the ring main or another power circuit?

Are all CB's switched on and fuses intact? If connected via a power circuit, there should be a fused connection unit somewhere. Has the fuse blown?

If there is no voltage on the terminals at the light fitting, you will have to locate the junction where the power coming in joins to the wire to the switch and the wire to the light fitting, and trace it from there.

Sponsored Links
Okay, sorry to sound really dumb, but I am a novice at this so unsure what I need to do from your reply.

I mean I have checked the Fuse Box and all Switches are on, so presume that is okay.

I am unsure as to what circuit this Switch Socket is hooked upto and not sure of an easy way to check. Any help here would be great.

In terms of checking for voltage at the Switch, would i just need to connect one clip of the Multimeter to check or is there another way.

Cheers for any help again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back