Fitting Recessed Ceiling Lights (bathroom)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:D I would like to fit recessed ceiling lights in my bathroom. I currently just have the normal light fitting. I'm not an electrician and I'm new to electrics. The practical side of things I'm good at once I know what to do. However, I don't know how to wire these lights in. Can anyone explain in laymans terms what I need to do :?: THX from Joanne

Sponsored Links
depends which ones you have in mind, either mains or low voltage.

Low voltage is a "piece of cake" since they already come with everthing required and all you do is plug them into the low voltage transformer Then *

mains (not recomemded) just loop from one to the other using 1.5mm T & E colour to colour (or L - L N - N E - E) then*

* SWitch MAINS OFF FIRST, mark all the cables differently then note which wire goes where, ( a drawing is good)

then get a 4 terminal junction box, and go up in the loft and pull the cables from the existing light fitting (assuming you disconected them AFTER your double checked drawing) put the wires into the 4 way junction box as they were in your drawing.

now connect your new lights into the junction box to wher the old LAMP was connected, check drawing again, switch mains back on and turn on swith "hey presto" new lights

Make sure any lights you buy are suitable for bathroom use, and don't put the loft insulation back over them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back