Fitting Sealed units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting some new windows and have a few concerns.

The seal units have a black tape around the outside, but I can see that the black sealant between the glass panes, sometimes protrudes up to 2mm beyond the perimeter of the glass. This is mainly, but not always, in the corners.

When setting the units into the frame, using bridge/glazing packers, I assuming that it would be bad to rest these raised areas on the packers, which may mean that the packers are not going to be in the corners, or evenly spaced in the bottom of frame. Is the posiiton of the packers critical?

On side opening sashes, I'm assuming that I need to put to packers in the corners, to toe & heel correctly, so I may have to rest the unit on the raised bits regardless. Will this be a problem.

Finally, on larger windows eg 1m wide, would you still only put packers in 2 locations?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Any hot melt that sticks out just slice off with a sharp stanley blade, as for packing then as close to corners as poss but not overly critical if say 100mm away.

anything wider than 1200 then use a middle packer or just use your judgement, using 3 packers helps if the cill is level otherwise you'll put un due stress on the unit and in time could fail prematurely

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back