Fitting shower pump (Plumber needed leicester area)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im having some work done in my bathroom and en-suite and the taps brought are not great with regards the hot water flow. Cold is fine as its mains.

I also got a shower panel with body jets on it and a whacking great shower head, this is going to need a pump anyway to get it any good.

I was thinking of installing a stuart turner 2 bar single directly out of the hot water tank, any problems in doing this or anyone had any experience with this sort of thing

Sponsored Links
mains cold hot pumped not the best of combinations on a shower with body jets.
you've got to try and balance the two.
better buying a twin pump and pumping cold and hot.

Right, only other problem i can think of there is little room in my airing cuboard to place a pump beside the h/w tank (as i understand the best place for it to go)

0000012dq8.jpg

There use to be a pump on a shelf above the h/w tank (Can see the holes still in the pic below)

0000013ch1.jpg

Can it go back up there or will this make probs in the future

if you pump the whole house, it will start up and wake you every time someone flushes a WC or washes their hands :confused:

Couldn't you get by with just a pumped shower?

My cold water tank is on a sort of platform in the loft, which gives it another metre of head, maybe that would help?

Sponsored Links
if you pump the whole house, it will start up and wake you every time someone flushes a WC or washes their hands :confused:

Couldn't you get by with just a pumped shower?

My cold water tank is on a sort of platform in the loft, which gives it another metre of head, maybe that would help?

Yes good point. My cold water talk is also on a platform. My main problem will be feeding my beastie of a shower panel..........

as said just pump the shower makes life easy and quieter.
you can have a shelf just above your cylinder.
and keep your top shelfs for towels etc, as you don't want them all round the pump.

Will i need a "flange" if installing it on the shelf?, any guide on how i can avoid air from the h/w tank getting into the pump would be great..........ie best place to cut into the vent off pipe and route it

use a flange, surrey,essex.
don't come off the vent pipe, we use to do it that way yrs ago and it worked but use a flange much better in the long run.

If you want a quiet pump use a centrifugal pump, but be careful installing centrifugal above the cylinder as air is the big issue, I would use a Techflange or Essex and plumb anti-gravity loop as with image below.

Add the cost of the pump to the plumbing in costs, add in a bit of unrelaibilty, dont forget to make allowance for "thats pumps very noisy" from her in doors, you wont hear it but she will!

That lot probably adds up to something approaching the cost of installing a heat store cylinder, or an unvented cylinder. Both of which will proberbly re-heat faster than that thing in the picture.

How old is that cylinder?

How do the copper cylinders stand up to the drinking water in your area.

I have just this minute had a copper pipe corrode through on the internal DHW pipe work of my combi, so I can state with some authority that the water in some areas is costing us money in more ways than one.

When you consider that some unvented cylinders come with a twenty five year warentee, a cylinder change looks increasingly like a better long term bet, especialy when you are standing in that star treck shower of yours. ;)

Tim

You sound like an BG salesman Tim :LOL: Suck air between teeth enoticon, that'll have to go, combi boiler comes next mate £7k should doitall. :LOL:

Why do people always think or not as the case maybe that the pump needs to go in the cupboard or under the bed or over the bed.

Brain in gear guys :rolleyes: under stairs, kitchens, utility even the garage. Ok it depends where the cylinder is for the ideal location of the pump, but look down not up. And as TecknoTim said a centrifugal pump is the way to go.

Im looking at a Salamander RSP 75 twin pump. Looking about they seem quite good and quite.

And why o why are it seems plumbers in general completely hopeless?! I have had 2 around now and they dont even know what a flange was.

I like to think i can do this sort of stuff but in general i like to get all the right info and pay someone to get it done right.

Any you lot know any GOOD plumbers in the leicester area? ;)

Perhaps you should ask them what an Essex or Techflange is before they call, a sort of starter for 10 :LOL:

Following from Tims comment, although there is always some risk with old cylinders, the one in the pic is not that old.

The next most important consideration has to be the storage tank, anything less than 70 gallons is not enough.

And why o why are it seems plumbers in general completely hopeless?! I have had 2 around now and they dont even know what a flange was.

because they are not plumbers - ask them what qualifications they have and ask to see a copy of their certificates and public liability insurance before you instruct them - otherwise you will have a hefty bill if it all goes wrong

No the tank is at max 15 years old and seems in good nick.

The storage tank in the loft is MASSIVE!! although without checking i would 99% sure say its big enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back