fitting shower tray few questions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am fitting a shower tray and would like some advice please.

Firstly I have read that I should bed it on some mortar or silicon, silicon seems a good choice for me as I think it will be easier just to smear a layer over the whole base as I read somewhere. The bathroom has floorboards and for looks I want to keep the shower tray as low as possible so I don't really want to put ply underneath or similar, will it be ok on the floorboards with this silicon bed?

How thick should the silicon bed be?

Also it has no upstand so is there anything special I should do to prevent future problems, ie add anything or, or fit in a certain way?

If I had an upstand I understand that I should have channeled the wall a little to get the upstand level with the wall ready for tiling, so as there is no upstand do I still channel to rebate the shower a little so that the tiles overhang a bigger chunk of the tray or is this pointless now?

ie shall I just push it up against the corner?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Could someone move this to the tiling forum for me please, thinking about it, I think that forum might be more appropriate.

Sponsored Links
what size floorboards are they ?

Hi seco services, the house is 1930's and they are the original floorboards, which are about 6inches wides and I think probably about 18/19mm thick but have not actually measured them for thickness.

What do you think?

Or can anyone tell me how to do the mortar bed, ie what mix and how thick?

Any help would be appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back