Fitting skirting by radiator pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of replacing my skirting board with taller ones. However, a couple of my radiator pipes will end up touching the new skirting boards. Is this safe?

Sponsored Links
Sellie1981, good evening.

I notice this is your first post in here, If no one else does Welcome, if and when you need such Information, this is the place to find it.

As for your Question?

A/. There would be no possibility of fire, if indeed that was one of your concerns?
B/. There could be a possibility of creaking? or a ticking sound? should the Skirting touch the hot pipe.

Question? is the pipework Copper or is the pipe work clad with a plastic [Off White] material??

Rational for the above Question is that if the Pipe work is Copper then as the heat builds up when the Central heating comes on there is a Possibility that the natural expansion in the Pipes and the Radiator could cause the noise as described above?

If you have copper piping, then form a rounded groove in the Skirting so that the Copper pipe is free to expand and contract without being constrained by the Skirting, thus causing the sounds as described above.

In one of my Bedrooms, a copper pipe appears to be being "Pinched" as it comes up through the floor boards, and that is how I know about the noises that can be generated.

Hope this assists?

Ken.

Thanks Ken. They are copper so I'll make a groove. Much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back