Fitting Skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Ok, so I've a fairly big job on my hands. Having some damp proofing done as we speak, and once complete need to fit new skirting (throughout 80% of flat), fix floor boards, sand and varnish, paint the walls and make good anything damaged in the process.

The damp proofers have removed the existing skirting, and I've noticed that it was fixed to the walls with a weird looking nail. For internal walls, an extra peice of wood has been attached to the wood used for the stud wall frame, and for external walls, the skirting was nailed to brick.

Some of the nails now protrude, but don't look easy to remove. Should I remove them?

Do I need the extra wood peices attached to the internal stud walls when attaching new skirting?

When attaching to external walls how do I attach? (I'm presuming the damp proofers will plaster most of the wall but leave a gap at the bottom to account for damp/spillange etc.

Any direction on this would be great.

Plan is to sort the floor and sand it before attaching the skirting. Before attaching the skiting I intend to use an oil based primer (after using knotting solution) on both sides of the skirting.

Anything else I need to account for?

Thanks a lot.

Northern Butters

Sponsored Links
Was the extra bit of would used for packing the bottom of the skirting out, to bring it level with your finished wall surface?
Fitting skirting is not a thing I love to do, but I don't use nails I screw them in, so your stud wall should not be a problem.
The external block walls will need to be drilled and plugged though.

they could be masonry nails,if they wont come out be careful knocking them off,
as they do have a nind of there own.wear some safty glasses.

Sponsored Links
Are the nails cut floor brads like these, which were holding my old skirtings? http://www.thesitebox.com/wood-nails/cut-floor-brad-bright-steel.aspx

If so, then if you tap the heads side to side a few times they usually snap off leaving the rest of the nail in place without the need for pulling.

Not sure what you mean about the extra piece of wood at the bottom, but it could be just something to fix the skirting to. If it sits proud of the finished wall you will probably have to remove it - assuming it's not the bottom plate of the stud wall, that is! :confused:

Agree with PBofD about screwing all the new skirting, as they are then less likely to loosen and cause cracking.

Also glad to hear you are going to prime both sides of the skirting, which most people never do. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back