mdf white pre primed skirting boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys i wonder if you can help me with some advice, i have had mdf white pre primed skirting boards installed by the carpenter in 3 rooms . And im getting conflicting information regarding painting from the estimates i have got .

First estimate sais fill the nail holes that its been attached to the wall with wood filler and sand the holes then just 1 gloss coat he said as its already been primed.

Second one sais easyfill to cover nail holes then undercoat and top coat

Whats the best option or are both options ok just a different way of doing it .

How would you guys paint the skirting thanks for any replies

Sponsored Links
If you use easifill or polyfilla you'll have to spot prime. Personally I'd use an undercoat then an acrylic satin top coat. Gloss is out. Horrid surface like plastic.

Hi joe thanks for your response , what is spot prime ,sorry if this is a basic question but i dont do any painting or decoarating , what could he fill the holes with there are loads of them about 2mm dots all around skirting boards thanks for the help joe

Always consider gloss paint as having no covering power. Therefore surfaces must be undercoated. Priming is NOT undercoating, its a surface which permits undercoat to stick to.

Some MDF skirtings have a plastic film finish which is horrible to repair or paint over. Others have a paint finish which repairs and coats easily.

A good painter will apply at least 2 undercoats to ensure sufficient "depth" of colour. At the end of the day, you are paying for his time, if he's super quick to save you money then chances are there is insufficient paint applied.

When I was a kid, my mother used to get her nephew, who was supposed to be a decorator to apply emulsion to ceilings etc. He used to water it 50:50 so's it would go on easier (faster) 'til it was thin enough to spit through. It coloured but certainly didn't cover. He taught me more about painting than anyone!!

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't use easifill, its more of a plaster filler than a timber/mdf filler. A lightweight filler like red devil is fine as is wood filler but harder to rub down.
It definately needs an undercoat for a gloss finish or two coats of satin over the primer. Spot prime means prime the areas that have been filled (after rubbing down) to prevent the filler flashing through the top coat.
If a high film build is required i prefer to apply two gloss coats as undercoat is a bridging coat between primer and gloss as well as a filler for very minor surface defects, but there's plenty of painters that prefer two uc's and one gloss, doesn't define a good painter though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back