FITTING STAIR SPINDLES

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had out grown the boarded style
So it had to be cut out. This was very easy with an electric saw and a
non chip blade.
The bottom and hand rail was routed for fit 32mm spindles which I bought from a local scrap dump. Chosen because they were the right width for the rails. After fitting the spindle the exposed slot needed to be filled with packing to allow a spacer to be fitted flush.
Had to replace the centre board piece because it hid a wall.
The gap between the stair sections also had to be boarded
Because routing out the stair rails to 32mm was really messy. I chose to cut out 10mm on the landing rails.
Both ends of the spindle were cut with a cross cut bench saw to fit the 10mm slot.
Spacing out the spindles was fiddly. Between each spindle was a 5x31mm spacer that covered the slot.
The spindles were fixed using 5min fixatropic glue from Tool.S.
The spacers were fixed with no-nails. A bit of filler covered up my joints. They are all very secure and because they were painted looked fine.
The reason that I was able to stick at it and what I can be thankful for.

Conclusion;- I thought that I had made some mistakes since I had never done this job before. Like I said, it could be quite fiddly.
I found it was better after cutting them to paint the spindles before installing them. This was done on my partners clothes airer.It was good to have a few spare to allow for mistakes.
Keep the routing to a minimum.
The Dulux paint I used was good to use but a whole lot better with a dash of thinners and applied with a small fine haired wide brush. A normal brush carried to much paint in it and caused runs.
As a note of warning you must take care when using powered tools to cut spindles not to get one of these.

This DIY topic took me ages to put together. I now appreciate a lot more those who have taken so much care to get their message across.
A BIG THANKYOU TO YOU

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back