stair spindle querie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to be doing the stairs soon, I ripped the old covering off to reveal 4x1's used as spindles.

I have bought a new base rail as the old one had no slot to fix spindle to.

The max each spindle will be in height is 57cm and each spindle is 90cm long.

once cut, there doesnt seem to be much square wood at either end, just seems like its all patterned (about 5cm each side of square wood) - is that ok??

I dont really want to take the handrail higher as its already at the right level.

Also whats the spacing needed between each spindle???h

Sponsored Links

once cut, there doesnt seem to be much square wood at either end, just seems like its all patterned (about 5cm each side of square wood) - is that ok??

I dont really want to take the handrail higher as its already at the right level.

are you remembering to increase the spindle length to accomodate the angle!!!

the correct height for your handrail is 900mm above the nosing!!

Sponsored Links

are you remembering to increase the spindle length to accomodate the angle!!!

the correct height for your handrail is 900mm above the nosing!!

what is the nosing?

the rail seems the right height

the stair tread nosing.

measure vertically from the peak of the stair tread nosing.

i think the reg's say 850mm on the diagonal or rising stair, and 900mm horizontally across landings.

spindles are sold to accommodate these measurements with little wastage.

the stair tread nosing.

measure vertically from the peak of the stair tread nosing.

i think the reg's say 850mm on the diagonal or rising stair, and 900mm horizontally across landings.

spindles are sold to accommodate these measurements with little wastage.

so im going to have to get a new top rail and increase the height of it?

if it is too low, then yes.

will the newel posts accommodate a higher hand rail?

the handrail on the rise is measured from the very front edge of the step [the nosing] in a verticle line to the top of the hand rail

if you bottom newel top section [the unmolded square section] will not allow the handrail at 900 then your best go for a new newel [or top section ]especially if you are going to the trouble of renewing all the spindles

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back