FIXING SPINDLES:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi -

My exisiting handrail (110mm wide) and baserail (55mm wide) are not slotted for normal spindles, which I wish to install. Do spindle suppliers also have U-shaped mouldings (with spacers) that I can fix to the rails? Or should I just screw/pin spindles directly to rails? Presumably I would not then use spacers? Also, are (say no. 6) screws preferable for rigidity and safety? Spindles will be approx 750mm height - is there any rule of thumb when to use 40mm rather than 32mm section spindles or is it just a matter of personal preference?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi. Have a look for the Richard Burbage range of stair parts. Wood yards and upmarket sheds often stock them. They do the sort of thing you're talking about, though the 55mm base width could be a bit tricky.
The only requirement I know of for spindles is their spacing - 100mm max. Nominally the size of a new born baby's head, though I've never found one crawling about on my landing.

i always thought it was 95mm on the horizontal for the spacings?

You may be right - my memory isn't what it was (wibble, wibble). That way the new born crawler won't get his/her head stuck between the bars.
I remember the building inspector saying that the gap was the max at any point on the spindle - so if you've a turned down pattern you have to measure at the widest point and move the centres closer together if needed.
Health and safety gone mad, blah, blah, blah....

Sponsored Links
the regs are a sphere 100mm must not pass through any part off the stairs or banisters so 99mm or less including any turnings so if you go for say 95mm you not only have a bit off leaway incase the last few spaces have to be streached slightly to equalise fill the space also allows for the spindles bowing a bit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back