fitting trellis on top of an existing fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to fit trellis (3ft) on top of an existing 3ft wooden fence. Trouble is that the fence posts are only slightly higher than the fence so I figured I'd probably need to find a way of extending them so that they can support the trellis. I saw some metpost fence post extenders in B&Q - are these any good? Alternatively can I get away with getting 6ft trellis and attaching it directly to the 3ft fence and not bothering to extend the fence posts at all?

Sponsored Links
the extra weight may be too much, you do not need that much depth for 3 foot fence, but you will for 6

I had a wall come down in high wind with trelis on it

why not support the trelis on its own "legs" just a thought

I reckon you'll be fine by just attaching 6ft trellis in front of the 3ft fence. secure it firmly all the way up the existing post ando nly 3ft of trellis will show at the top. obviously trellis doesnt resist the wind as much as normal fence panelling so should be fine (well mine is anyway :p )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back