New Fences

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im installing a 6ft fence with trellis on top. I believe the correct way is to use fence posts that are the correct height to install the trellis. Howvever as the house backs onto a park would it be better to buy shorter posts and affix the trellis using wooden battens, so it will not support anyones weight thinking about the burglar perspective?

Sponsored Links
whilst that seems a good idea if you have any sort of dense climber growing on it, like a clematis, a strong gust of wind would possibly blow it over. that said it might not so i guess you'd just have to take your chance.

If your leaving it without plants of any kind then your idea sounds like a good one.

If you use the posts long enough to support the trellis, the council might argue that the fence is too high. 2 metres max, normally.
Whereas using the shorter posts always leave you the options.

I wouldn't want to climb over trellis even if it was supported by the posts.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Im thinking a foot gravel board, 5 foot fence and a foot or two foot trellis. Maybe a foot trellis will be enough if Im going to grow a prickly Rose on it. Will two foot be too much? As long as the rose is manageable should be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back