Fitting Velux windows a DIY prospect?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm considering fitting a couple of Velux windows into the roof of our two story house, and was wondering if this is a project that a fairly experienced DIY'er could manage (with a couple of willing helpers)?

The main issue is that access to the exterior of the roof is difficult on one side due to our large conservatory - short of having scaffolding erected which seems a tad excessive.

I had heard that it's possible to fit Velux from inside, but how do you begin removing the slates to start making the hole?
Our roof is reasonably new and is felted.

The Velux I had in mind is the GPL S06 which is 114x118cm each.

Any advice or information will be gratefully received. :)

Tony.

Sponsored Links
I personally would not tackle a Velux window from the inside. One of the main things being you will likely need to cut tiles with an angle grinder.

Velux are simple to fit but you do need plenty of tools.

If you have a truss roof system then forget it, as those sizes will mean removing at least one rafter per window.

and no matter who fits the velux windows if your conservatory is in the line of fire you should cover it with ply sheets!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back