Fitting vertical blinds on a PVC door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to fit vertical blinds on our kitchen door. The tiled walls can not support the weight as the tiles are old and need any excuse to start coming off. Can I drill holes in the door frame? If yes, do I need special screws or any other fittings? Can a PVC frame hold the weight reliably? The blinds are meant to be screwed into the door frame within the recess.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
You can drill the door, but do you want to spoil it.
You could try sticking the blind, If you can support it whilst it sets, silicone sealant is a very good adhesive. Better than all the sticks like s*** stuff, but you will need to support it.
Yes you need screws for plastic, b&q sell small packs.

Thanks a lot.

I am afraid I will have to drill holes in it which breaks my heart. The door is only 4 days old. The man who fixed the door said it could be drilled. I am very, very reluctant to do that. 6 years ago when we did the kitchen, our local Tile Depot had special offer on tile adhesive and I bought loads of it only to realise (after it was used) that the stuff was no good. Now the tiles need only a small nudge and they start threatening to fall off. They definitely can't hold the blind up. It has to be the door frame to carry the weight. What a shame. I don't want to do it but unfortunately drilling the door frame seems to be the only way forward :( I wish there was any other way of fixing that blind. It is made to measure according to the size of the recess therefore I have not got much space to mess around with.

When you fix to tiles..you dont fix to them, but through them.

If you put a wall plug in a tile you will split it.

You drill say a 1" hole & put a 3/4" plug in, push into the wall, then when you use a 1" screw, the screw is only going through the tile. (I have ignored the thickness of whatever is being fixed in your case a thin blind).
Hope that helps, if you do drill the door then I would suggest still using an adhesive, it will stop the screws being pulled out, if you use silicone it can be removed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Mark and diyisfun. Will bring in the blinds tomorrow. I just don't want to spoil the new door-frame. Anybody else has got any suggestions? The end board on my kitchen units is glued to the floor with silicone sealant (where it makes a little space for the bin) and it has not moved in six years though it gets kicked and banged by kids regularly. Can silicone sealant really hold the blind in place?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back