fitting washing machine how tight connections

Don't think so, this is a plastic fitting, not a metal fitting, had a typo moment there, it should have read - plastic on plastic/metal with a rubber washer.

The plastic fittings are moulded/shaped more for fingers that for metal tools and the plastic threads are inherently grippy. Flexis are metal and need a little more tension for the fitting to hold, hence the extra tweak beyond hand tight.

If the plastic ones needed tools they would probably be hex shaped and made of stronger stuff. I believe they were designed to allow everyone and anyone install them and was never really meant to have a plumber/experienced person install them, more the customer install them themselves by hand. If a plumber does get the install then it's easy to give it more of a nip up as the tools are to hand.

I just don't believe it's needed and not had an issue yet hand tight and my insurers are happy ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks, when pushing the waste into a stand pipe does it need to be pushed to the bottom so its in the water of the trap or just above this?

Sponsored Links
Washing machine hose hand tight then 1/4 turn....job done.

The danger is some DIY novice will use a mole wrench on the fitting, causing a crack which will open up later. Handtight as long as you have strongish hands.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back