Fitting wider door on garden shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit a wider door on a big standard 8x6 shiplap shed.

Aside from everything else, what's the best tool to use to make the vertical cuts to enlarge the door opening? I want to do this with the shed in situe.

Sponsored Links
Probably a plunge saw.

You could screw the new frame onto the fabric of the shed first, and then whizz through the shiplap.
Possibly using a hand saw to finish cutting the frame

how much bigger as theres a limit before you weaken the structure too much
as tiger says frame first although to leave the cladding in situ you will have to take the size off your new timber say it 30mm
you need to look at what is visible for the door to sit against say its 12mm showing
you need to seperate the cladding from the frame anywhere you need to place new timbers by 18mm[30-12=18mm]
in other words you remove 18mm from the timber frame to allow the new timber to go in situ with 12mm for the door to sit against like the origional door
a temporary support or two may be nessisary about 2" away from the new frame position to hold the structure in place till the new frame is fixed in

Last edited:
I need the door to be an extra 12" wide so I can fit a motorcycle in.

Putting the new frame in first seems to be the way to go.

Thanks for the answers.

Sponsored Links
It will be easier to cut one side but neater to do two,

Given the value, you want security as well.

My shed ( also with a bike) was framed and built side by side and bolted together.
Look inside and try to ensure that the new frame holds It all together if you cut the original door frame
Maybe a temp timber inside may help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back