Fitting windows, with a modification or two...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I need to replace two windows to the back of the house, but before I do that I need to resize the opening, I'm making both openings smaller.

I need to remove the old windows - obviously!
reduce the size of the opening and then block off the opening until I can order the windows and then fit the windows.

• How do I securely block the windows space until I can fit the windows?
    How long should I leave it before I fit windows to the new brickwork?

TIA

Sponsored Links
The easy option would be to get your windows made now to the smaller size then put them in place and brick up to em, or have i missed something :?:

& get them fitted by a FENSA registered installer or you'll need to notify your local Building Control dept. & pay an inspection fee! ;)

Sponsored Links
cheers for the replies.

Not sure about bricking up to them, I want to add about 3 rows of bricks to the base so the sill is higher and also make the windows narrower by about a brick and a half, so I can turn the brick instead of cutting them if you understand me.

Would you still advise fitting the windows to a newly laid base?

and are you serious about inspection, I want to do this myself, I'm pretty handy and certainly won't do a bodge job. I'm pretty competent at brickwork, just never installed a window before.

You'll be fine putting the window on newly laid bricks, as for the inspection then its to do with the part L regs i think, basically if a window company that is FENSA registered fit 1 window or a house full then they will supply you with a FENSA certificate to say the window and the installation complies with the new regs.

IF for some reason the company isnt registered OR you fit the window yourself then once its fitted you need to speck to your LABC and get them to pop out just to make sure the window has 'k' glass or equivalent, has a trickle vent fitted and generally is fitted well

Can I also ask what to look for in good quality UPVC windows, and are there any things to avoid?

I want the Oak effect both sides, will also be looking at French doors too, so any tips and advice very welcome.

IF for some reason the company isnt registered OR you fit the window yourself then once its fitted you need to speck to your LABC and get them to pop out just to make sure the window has 'k' glass or equivalent, has a trickle vent fitted and generally is fitted well
LABC will charge a fee (around £100) for inspection & certification. You don’t have to have trickle vents or fire escape windows unless the were previously fitted; even in new builds the requirement is for “background ventilation" which can be met in ways other than window trickle vents; window companies/salesmen like these little add ons as it’s a lucrative way increasing the basic price. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back