Window configeration advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large window at the front of my propery that is split into 2, a large main pane and a full height opening window. see pic link below (not sure if this is the right way to do it so someone correct me if not, I've never uploaded images to the forum before!):

//www.diynot.com/network/darrengreen/albums/

I want to change the side window to a large opening window and a smaller top opening window (leaving the main pane as is), so that we can use the window for ventilation when we're in without the security risk of leaving a full height window open (propert is a terrace so has passing traffic).

My question is, is it possible to change the side opening window to a larger and a smaller window without replacing the whole frame (i.e. do it in situ?). Probably not something I'll tackle myself having just finished a mammoth 4 week refurb of the living room that the window is in, but keen to get ideas before I consult the trade.

I want to avoid removing the whole window frame, firstly for cost and secondly as I've only just finished the internal refurb!!

Thanks for the help in advance!!

Sponsored Links
possibly, the only way i could see is if you get a odd leg frame made up(made from sash) and remove the opener you got and fit the new odd leg into there. Hope it makes sense

It is possible to do, but you will have to know what profile you window is, you can get whats known as a mechanicle joint which screws into you existing frame. then you will have to determin what size casement you want. Most window manufactures wont weld a casement under 230mm in hight. It might be better to have the window replaced. a good reputable company should be able to replace it with out any damage because it is already a upvc window. If I was to do it, it would take at least 2/3 hours job complete. I was a window installer for 25 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back