Fix laminate on MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

To cover the side of my bath there is a sheet of MDF which I believe has been laminated to protect it from water damage.
PHOTO_20200507_222615.jpg
Over time some of the laminate has been chipped away exposing the MDF beneath.
PHOTO_20200507_222647.jpg

I am now concerned about possible further water damage and would like to fix it. While I could just cover the exposed areas with some white sealant I am also interested in repairing the side panel back to its original condition.

Whats the best approach achieving that? Would it be possible to remove the laminate then reapply some newly bought laminate? Is so where would I buy the laminate and what tools would I need?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
blimey that's well and truly shot
look up melamine or laminate faced board for what you have then choose somthing appropriate for a wet area :D

Just sorted one for my nephew, used soffit pvc, its twin walled so ripped the rear every panel to reduce it to single thickness which bends easily.
Lay ply or board over top edge to mark shape of curve , cut this out and fix to floor inline to hold the base of panel and finish with pvc trim to form a skirting. water proof and easily cleaned.
White silicon to seal all gaps.Best of all just £10 for plastic.
upload_2020-3-22_16-1-49-png.186486

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/diy-bath-panel.541350/#ixzz6LqlAfMeR

look up melamine or laminate faced board for what you have then choose somthing appropriate for a wet area :D
Thanks, the problem I have with precut boards is that at the top of the panel there is what I believe is called a lap joint which means I can't simply get a basic rectangle but a custom made board. I would need to find a company that could cut an MDF board to an exact specification then apply the laminate afterwards.
Just sorted one for my nephew, used soffit pvc, its twin walled so ripped the rear every panel to reduce it to single thickness which bends easily.
Cool idea, I might end up doing this if I can't get a custom laminated board made or it becomes too expensive.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back