fixed one switch, broke anothe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Can anyone help.. I had a 2-way switch for my landing light which never worked properly - the downstairs switch worked on and off; the upstairs switch only worked when the downstairs switch was off. I have now fixed it so it works properly. But I have now got 2 problems: first, one of the bedroom lights no longer works so I assume it is next in the circuit. Any ideas how I should rewire it? Secondly, I discovered that the 2-way switch was installed with 3-core only. I think the earth wire might have been used for L1. Either way there is no earth earthed. Can it be made safe or should I remove the 2-way altogether. If so, would fixing the bedroom light be any different? Help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
you need to get a multimeter and completely map out what wires you have availible between what points.

Once you have a diagram post it and i'll try and work out the best soloution.

By 3 core I take it you mean Twin and Earth? The earth (CPC) in twin and earth cable does not have an inner sheath, this should only ever be used as an earth and never as a live conductor.

Yeah, your "3 core" is twin & earth & the bare wire must never be used as a live conductor.

It needs replacing with 3 core & earth ASAP.

The reason your bedroom light may not be working is if the feed to that switch comes off the two way you have disturbed. Maybe the wire is not in properly, at all or in the wrong place.

Does the bedroom light come on when the landing one is on?

Sponsored Links
Thanks - I thought as much - the earth wire is unsheathed and is definitely being used as live and I'll remove it. The bedroom light doesn't work at all whether the landing light is on or off. Will check the connections again to see if anything has been disturbed. If that doesn;t work, will try post a diagram - any other ideas about the bedroom light?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back