Fixing 4 by 2 to a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have started on the framework for my decking outside (fixing 2 beams to my walls), I had a nightmare yesterday with the special bolts (the ones with outer shells that are supposed to stay in the brick and open up) anyway I have given up on these bolts as they wasn't grabbing, I have bought some long screws were the rawlplug is as long as the screw, apparently the plug is supposed to sit in the wood and the wall. I bought the right sized drill bit and drilled deep enough (with a little to spare) I made sure the hole was cleared out but the screws would only go in so far and wouldn't tighten up, I even snapped one screw tightening it up.

What am I doing wrong? any advise/tips or should I give up??

Thanks in advance :D

Sponsored Links
38816.jpg

Use chemfix type resin to fix the bolts into the holes you've already drilled out.

Sponsored Links
ah yes, hammer fixings.. you hit them with a hammer and then tighten with a screwdriver once in..

you might want something a bit more manly to hold up your decking though.. some large rawlplugs and some lag bolts..

We use sleeve anchors, very easy to use and you don't seem to get the reluctance to bite like you do with some rawl bolt type.

0839M540045HB.jpg

Hello,

Just got in from the garden, managed to get them up with the screws above, if any didn't go all the way in they hammered in the last few mil.

I have 2 runs of 8ft and I have put in 4 on one site and 4 on the other as well as the one bolt I managed to get to grab. The joists I have put in the other way are nice and tight pushing it all against the wall. Do you think I need more fixings on an 8ft length?

Ta :D

I saw on one DIY site (???) that they spaced the beam from the wall (by 25mm I think) with multiple stainless steel washers to avoid damp and rot. My local Planning Control expressed an interest in decking and it gets complicated if the decking is raised much above the existing ground level.

Thanks for the replies,

Just one more question on the decking

My 4 by 2 joists run for 10ft and have a little bouce in them, the ground (hardcore/soil) is only a few inch away. What is the best method to stop the bounce please?

4"x 2" over 10'! No wonder it's bouncing!! :eek:

You need a mid span packer.

This can be something as simple as a solid bedded slab directly beneath the joist or a slab and a post depending on the depth of the void.

So could I put the old flags directly underneath the wood and not worry about damp?

Ta :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back