fixing a broken tile with a hot glue gun....

I

imamartian

yep i have to admit to the above offence your honour !!

but to put it into context, i have a bay window with a tiled roof, and after years of the kids playing footie on the front, the ball has broken quite a few tiles... so today i bought a number of "sandt conc plain tiles" and replaced all the broken ones...which was quite easy, i have to say.... except one, which seems to be nailed in place. So i hot glued it.... question is, how long will it last??

I will hire one of those tilers nail cutting things, but it seems a lot of effort for one tile if the hot glue thing works...

Is there an alternative way to hiring/buying one of those nail cutting tools? I tried a hacksaw, but the nibs(?) on the back of the tile get in the way.

Sponsored Links
On my roof I've been able to lift the upper tile sufficiently to catch the nail head with a bolster chisel and just tap the nail upwards and out. I've removed about twenty tiles so far and no breakages yet. But the nails aren't rusty and the battens aren't too solid.

you could slip a few tiles out above the nailed one exposing the nail head...
or use a small nail bar gently slip it between batten and tile to easy the nail out..

Sponsored Links
there's better stuff than hot glue - Sticks Like and The Works are amazing at sticking stuff down and sealing - they work long term in wet conditions, just get the area to be jointed clean and dust free and i'd suggest they would work fine. what are they, a fiver a tube?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back