Fixing a capping strip to feather edge

rlc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats the best way of fixing a capping strip to the top of a featheredge - should I nail it from the topside into the ends of the FE or fix it nailing through the front to back?

Thanks ~rls

Sponsored Links
if you havnt put the fence up yet then you need to use a cant rail behind it, which sits in a mortice in the post. if its after the installation then fix a cant rail to the back of the featheredge and then the capping on top of that

rlc said:
Whats the best way of fixing a capping strip to the top of a featheredge - should I nail it from the topside into the ends of the FE or fix it nailing through the front to back?

If you haven't got the posts with weather capping mortice (or want to save some cash by using standard cls/board posts) this is what I do.
lay cant rail on the floor, lay capping on cant rail (flush to back edge of cant rail) nail capping to cant rail, offer upto bay mark and cut cant and cap rail (make it a tight fit between posts), Knock cant and cap rail between posts so capping sits on the F/E then at every 5th F/E on thickest edge knock a 50mm nail in front to back.
Or
If using wood posts use 3.6 mtr long weather caps, cut cant rail to bay size (between posts) & fix cap to rail so capping overhangs both ends of cant rail, offer up to bay cut capping so it is covering half of the top of post, do the same with following bays hey presto a continious capping one end to other.

It's a pity the capping doesn’t have drip groove as in window sill. I run the circ saw on mine if the width allows it, I'm not sure if the non-drip capping will collect more and trap water to the fence panel(?)

Sponsored Links
This is my attempt so far...my plan is now to join the sloping section to this section....advice to date has been greatly appreciated. This was the only timber I coould seem to find so ended up having to construct it like shown.....any fundamental mistakes that I can put right on the next attempt (the slope section)?

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w291/whatmorephotos/27012007.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w291/whatmorephotos/27012007002.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w291/whatmorephotos/27012007003.jpg

Further to earlier replies...

I have a 1930's semi with its original feather edged fence.

The top pf which is hanging rope cut or whatever its called...consequently it sure aint flat and it cant have a capping rail cus i cant be bothered to steam and bend one for it.

Anyhoo this thing has stood here for 70 odd years and in that time has required no more than 3 repalcement pales.

Just thought i'd say. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back