Fixing a curtain pole to dot and dab plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We have set aside today to out up a new curtain rail. We have taken the old one down as it was too small and slightly hanging off on one side.

I have chosen a fabulous chunky one and am looking forward to hanging some thick curtains to keep in the heat, obviously this is going to have a substantial weight!

Our house was built in 1994 and our walls are lined with dot and dab plastering. We have drilled through the plasterboard (well went through the existing hole) and behind is 'something' solid. I am not sure if this would be breeze block, concurrent or steel lintel.

We are now at a loss for what to do. We have looked at the internet for different options
1 - drill into lintel
2 - cut hole in plaster and insert a wooden batten
3 - stick some wood onto the plaster to screw into
4 - use metal self-drive plugs or small hollow-wall anchors

I personally don't like the idea of the wooden batten-it sounds like a bodge-job and if it's visible (even painted the same colour as the walls) I think it will look obvious and terrible. But my OH thinks it will be extremely diffIcult to drill into whatever's behind and get the screws all aligned correctly.

Could you please offer any advise if you have any as this could cause arguments.......... Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to know what is deeper as you can't use hollow fix [no hollow to fix to].Either use a hss bit and see if it pics up swarf after drilling [will be on the tip of bit] if so you can use self tapping screws to fix.
The something you hit behind plasterboard could just be adhesive so will only be 20mm deep or so.
If you have blockwork then you can use plastic wall plugs and longer screws, if any came with fitting they will almost certainly be unsuitable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back