Fixing a heavy basin to a brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I have a very heavy double size basin that I need to fix to a wall - there is no pedestal to it.

I have been supplied two packs of standard basin bolts but I am unsure they will do the job.

I have searched long and hard but cannot find any 'extra long' basin fittings. Does anyone know if they exist, whether if they do they'd be any better than standards ones or can anyone suggest other ideas?

thanks

Darrenh

Sponsored Links
Why do want them longer?

As long as you use the right sized drill for the plugs it won't be a problem. Does the basin have 4 fixing holes? Use as many of the bolts as you can.

it has four holes - logically i suppose having them longer doesnt do anything as the stress will be on where the basin touches the end of the bolt.

using the right drill bit has alway been a bit of a challenge for me! I'll do my best!

it has four holes - logically i suppose having them longer doesnt do anything as the stress will be on where the basin touches the end of the bolt.

using the right drill bit has alway been a bit of a challenge for me! I'll do my best!

Your main concern is getting the bolt correctly installed in the wall, this is always going to be the weak spot. The bolts themselves are well capable of taking the weight of the basin.

Sponsored Links
Most of the weight of the basin is taken by the wall itself so bolts should be ok. If still worried, apply some strong clear mastic between the basin and the wall.

hi guys - my dilemma here is that the basin is being hung on the wall in front of the window - i.e the basin bolts will go into breeze brick wall on the top layer of brick (ie the layer the window sill sits on).

I'm worried that there is no stack of bricks (weight and pressure) to help support it.

Darrenh

Should be ok,all of the force is acting down at the bottom of the basin.

I presume you are using Fisher bolts?You can buy these in two sizes 10 and 12MM I believe.

never mind how heavy the basin is - if you cant put all your weight on the basin without something somewhere going crack then reconsider.

2b sure I slammed a large panel of hardwood ply 18mm against the wall for something similar (screws rawlplugs and pinkgrip) then waterproofed it (water seal) then set the basin bolts in pink as the combi of crumbly breeze and bolt plugs on their own didnt seem up to it.
b/

the bolts will be at the top of the basin, so the actual stress is at the bottom of the basin against the wall, its called a cantalever, the wall under the bolts takes the weight, the bolts just form a pivot.

The force applied to the bolts will be trying to pull them out/

The trick to get a good hole is to drill with say 8 mm and then enlarge to 10 mm without the hammer action.

I think the Fisher bolts for basins are usually 8 mm or 10 mm.

The basin would usually break before the bolt fixing.

Tony

plugs in breeze block holding a basin? :eek: You're having a giraffe :LOL: Just tell them not to sit on the basin.

It will have to be strengthed with something like 25mm of ply in a large area, ideally down to the floor.

I am now really confused - I thought I had this sorted (I was just going to drill in the 4 fisher bolts and attach it as normal given the argument about th ebolts just being the anchor....

I could do the 18mm plywood trick - are you saying:

1) screw plywood to the wall from the floor to the top of the window ledge (once all the supply and waste is fitted behind)
2) then drill through this into the concrete blocks
3) insert the raw plug so they are flush with the plywood
3) secure the basin
4) add some plasterboard to the ply and skim

Darrenh

whats all the wasteing time with ply,plasterboard.
just fit 4 fischer 12mm basin fixings straight into wall.

seco - your straight forwardness is admirable - this is exactly what I want to do! Let's hope it stays put!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back