Fixing a Heavy Gate to Aircrete Blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not too sure what I am fixing to but its definitely something that looks like breeze blocks 440 wide by around 200 deep and pretty heavy (around 15kgs I think)
I have bought a really heavy gate which I need to attach to these
What is the best method/fixing to use for this?
Not too sure what is the strongest fixing which would hold the gate, if needed I could channel out and insert a steel into the block if need but would rather use fixings if there is such a heavy duty thing on the market these days

Sponsored Links
To little info for a guessed informed decision
Heavy gate?
Size?
Gate post dimensions?
Gate post foundations? No idea!!!
Without any info I suggest you fix whatever you are going to hang the gate with with 12mm dia screwed rods drilled through the gate post and secured the the other side with nuts and thrust plate. The gate shouldn't pull away from the post but the post may collapse due to the mortar/blocks not being strong enough or topple due to inadequate foundations. Good luck.

Yeah probably not the most information I have given lol
Gate is around 40kg
Its 1.8m high and about 1m wide
There is no post, this will be affixed to an extension wall which is made of the blocks
The fixings supplied were U fixings (top and bottom, 2 of them). Unless there is some super strong resin type fixing I can't see this holding.
As I mentioned I think the steel option (or timber) would be best but it would need to be sunk into the block (channeled) to fit properly.
I can certainly get hold of a fence post and sink it into the blockwork but unsure how to fix the post in place as I cannot screw it directly into the wall as the gate would not fit

Do a search on "hanging heavy garden gate " that was posted 28 August for a bit more info

Sponsored Links
Demolish the wall and erect a steel stanchion as the gatepost, sunk deep into concrete, then rebuild the wall.

Alternatively, construct a portal frame with a post on each side, linked by a rigid lintel to withstand lean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back