Fixing a mirror cabinet - Information required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello good people,

I wish to fit a mirror cabinet in the bathroom and need some inputs.

Mirror Cabinet (approx 30 kilos, has to be hung on 2 screws 6mm i think):
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...rror-cabinet-with-2-doors-white-art-20205171/

Bathroom Wall:
Plastered and Tiled (Porcelain).

The instructions with the mirror cabinet don't say which wallplug or screw to use as Ikea simply say that depends on the type of wall (which I think is fair)

I did quiet a bit of research and understand, that bearing in mind the weight of the cabinet, I may have to go for something like a Spring Toggle plug or Anchor bolt.

My questions:
* Should I rule out long Rawlplug's ? Or If I could use a rawlplug, what type of rawl plug I have to use ?
* If I have to use 6mm Spring Toggle plug, should the hole on the wall be of bigger diameter ? If yes, what size drill bit should I use for a 6mm spring toggle plug ?
* If I have to use 6mm Anchor Bolt, same as above, what size drill bit I have to use ?

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Is the wall been fixed to a hollow one or solid.
Toggles and hollow wall anchors, can only be used on hollow walls.

If the wall is a solid one then using wall pugs will be fine.
The assembly instructions seems to indicate two fixing points.
That does not mean you are restricted to only the two fixing points. You could add others if you wished to.
If you are drill into tiles the into solid wall beneath it. I would use tile bit on tiles then use a masonry to hole the solid wall.

Hi, thanks for your reply. It is a hollow wall (i.e. it is hollow behind the tile & plasterboard). Would imagine it is a stud wall.

So is hollow wall anchor or toggles the best choice ?

About your comment about doing other fixing points - very imaginative :) I didn't think about that. Great idea. Will get back to drilling an additional hole for extra safety and load bearing.

Thanks once again.

Sponsored Links
Yes I would personally use hollow wall anchors, rather than the toggle fixings. Problem with toggles, when you undo them you loose the toggle down the inside of the wall!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back