fixing a small patch of uneven floor in fireplace - screed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've removed a hearth and plastered the walls of my fireplace, and now need to flatten the floor.

As can be seen in the photo, there is a deep metal lined 'hole' which was a vent for the fire that was there. I want to fill this and then smooth the floor over. I'm not planning on having any kind of fire or stove there, so heat proofness doesn't matter.

Also note the annoying electrical cable running along there, the previous owner put this to spur a socket. I'd want this cable to be buried in whatever I put down.

The easiest/cheapest option I can see is filling the hole with bricks and sand, then covering over with some decorative stones inside the fireplace, and tiling the hearth area.

Ideally I'd like the hearth and fireplace completely smooth and level, but think I'd need to mess around with concrete for this, and I'm not confident about it.

View media item 78752

Sponsored Links
I would be inclined to rewire the plug, if it's still required, otherwise as long as the metal frame doesn't stick above FFL then your methodology is sound...pinenot :)

thanks, I'm tempted to remove that cable, but if I do it'll be a whole lot of hassle to get power to that socket (grr, why didn't the previous owners do this properly?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back