wooden flooring around fireplace hearth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I've persuaded myself to lay a Kahrs Oak Dublin floor in my living room.

I'm a bit stuck as to what do around the fireplace. There's a rectangular limestone base (hearth) to floor around. I have taken skirting off in the room so dont want to use scotia as will make the fire place look naff.

So how do I deal with floor expansion around the fire. I guess i cant butt up against it? The room is 3 x 6m (in 5 year old house, concrete screed floor)and the fire is half way along the longer wall.

Also if the edge of the fireplace and th eopposite long wall are not parallel where is the best place to start the laying.

Hope you can help.

Scott.

Sponsored Links
td5er said:
I'm a bit stuck as to what do around the fireplace. There's a rectangular limestone base (hearth) to floor around. I have taken skirting off in the room so dont want to use scotia as will make the fire place look naff.

So how do I deal with floor expansion around the fire. I guess i cant butt up against it? The room is 3 x 6m (in 5 year old house, concrete screed floor)and the fire is half way along the longer wall.
You could use an 'End threshold' for the neatest finish. It allows you to keep an expansion gap between floor and fire place.

See here hope it will give you the idea)

Nice one. Good tip.

I just checked your website....a load of useful things to read and absorb there.

So all i need to work out now is to start near the fireplace (and so get the planks square/parallel with it or go from the opposite wall which is probably not parallel with the fire and hope for the best.

What do reckon.

Many thanks,

Scott.

Most homes/rooms don't have very straight walls :confused:

The best tip we can give you is to make sure the joints between the boards in one row are straight, which will make the whole row straight. You can then 'fill' the different gaps between the row and the wall with 'spacers' to make sure your row stays straight when you lay the next row.

Spacers you can make yourself from various materials (3mm hardboard, 6mm chipboard, 12mm plywood etc, etc)

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
While the plaster drys....another question. The Kahrs Dublin floor was going to be layed on just Kahrs tuplex undelay. I think I'd like a bit more insulation and sound proofing from the concrete screed base. Would it be ok to lay the Tuplex first then something like "cush n wood" an dthen the engineered flooring.

Any advice appreciated.

thanks

Scott

Hi Scott

Extra underlayment isn't really needed. It might even cause the floor to 'bounce'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back